Friday, September 8, 2023

Everything is hot

 Today the route was Virginia Beach to Greenville NC. We started at a park called Neptune Park - this was our official official start.

Mike was able to get his bike started but it just wasn’t sounding right. It also would pop and stop working. He knew he wouldn’t get far so he decided to not attempt it today. 







Larry and I started on our adventure. I told him not to freaking ditch me this time. It was a freaking hotter than what I would expect hell to be like (I’ll never know I’m an angel). It was 90 degrees but felt like 102. Mind you we are on roads- there isn’t much for shade. AND these bikes get HAWT. Larry and I knew we needed to get gas at the first gas station- so we stopped. We both over filled our tank but thankfully so. As we were there this guy kid - probably 9? Was talking to Larry and then I fired up my bike and he started looking at it and told me he liked it. I turned it off and told him to get on it and take a picture. He was so excited! His mom was grateful. 


I had my first experience of the yard sale. I had a long sleeve shirt that flew out of my bag. 🤷‍♀️ oh well shit happens. 

As I’m sure I’ve told you or you know or you can guess - these old bikes don’t hold a lot of gas. We filled our tanks up as I told you- but not really paying too close of attention to the route we didn’t realize how far away another one would be as we skipped some because we had filled up recently. Well Larry and I were sweating bullets (not only from the freaking heat) but because we both knew it was probably a matter of minutes before we run out. Larry had tapped into his reserve and I don’t have one. We had gone about 60 miles … no gas station recently. 67 oh I biggerish down… still no gas. 70 miles knowing you are pushing it but have no way to make gas just show up out of humid air. FINALLY!!!!!! 78 miles and there is this gas stations we pull up and we look in our tanks and they are almost out - I mean we cannot see any gas in there. Larry decided to check his oil and well… he had wayyyy to much. I think 4-6 is what they want and he had 10. It literally melted a hole in the bottom of the cup and got all over the ground - whoops! At least we were at a gas station. We were also in the town of Plymouth, only North Carolina. Obviously I found this great. 





I got us Gatorade and made us take electrolyte pills. We had been sweating the whole day. Onward we went. 

Unfortunately Larry did have a tip. As you can see we have these big boxes on our bikes - it makes getting on and off our bikes challenging. Larry was pulled over to look at this oil thing because it kept opening up and giving full oil - so way too much. So he was getting off his bike and his tipped his bike because his leg hit. We’ve all done it and we kick ourselves all the time. 

We made it back! We did lose each other toward the end in some traffic. 

Mom and Cindy like this picture because I was leading the guys 🤣




We showed our bikes then started working on them. I did some adjusting of my oil pump, checking oil in my primary and seeing the color of my spark plugs. With the guidance of Steve and Jared Rinker - they are so patient with me and all my questions- but I was proud for doing it on my own! Then when I was done I decided to lay down next to cruella and enjoy her beauty. 



Larry worked on his bike- that oil thing and keeping that shut. He did some greasing and straightened his fender. 

Mike decided to rent a Uhaul—- THANKS FOR BRINGING UP MY PTSD (it was an uhaul that broke my leg) to drive to wheels through time in Maggie valley to get help from Matt the owner on his bike. He is completely lost at what could be going on. We are stopping at Wheels through time on Sunday for lunch but obviously he wouldn’t have time during that. So off Mike went to get some help from the man himself. The rest of us stayed back and are getting some sleep before tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grand Finale

Doffo Winery Doffo Winery Right before take off  Right before take off Cindy and Jen Larry and Cindy                    Me leaving for the l...