Today we started in Asheville, NC.
I know I said this yesterday… but the scenery… it’s speechless.
We started with a ton of fog which obviously made it harder to see. But then it just randomly became clear.
In the early day I was behind Scott and a bird was flying horizontal to him and ran right into his leg. It looks like a hummingbird. I did see it continue to fly so I assuming it’s okay.
We had lunch in Morristown, Tennessee. Where we then headed back on the road. We saw two deer cross the road and slowed down to make sure no more came. We went through a very long tunnel; Cumberland Gap Tunnel. It replaced “Massacre Mountain”, a dangerous, winding 2.3 mile stretch of above-ground roadway notorious for fatal accidents. One of only two vehicular tunnels in the US that crosses state lines. Passes directly beneath the Cumberland Gap National Historical Park area where Tennessee, Kentucky, and Virginia meet.
Then headed to Pinnacle Overlook where we took a group picture. Historically used as a strategic lookout during the Civil War. The overlook provided a vantage point for controlling passage through the gap.
All of this history was found online.
We ended our ride at the resort we are staying at tonight; called the Pine Mountains State Resort Park. We had dinner there and the view was one of a million. We (us four) are staying in a small little cabin. It’s very remote but super cool!
We started in North Carolina, hit Tennessee, Virginia and ended in Kentucky. 174 miles.
The loop has done a fantastic job with these roads and this ride - I am extremely impressed.
The weather was yet again perfect - it got warm toward the end, but not terrible.
We made all of our miles and our bikes seem to be running good! Well take that!
I tried attaching pictures but after 5 failed attempts I’m giving up for the night.
breezy
Sounds like a beautiful day! Such a gorgeous part of our country. I'm glad the hummingbird is ok😉
ReplyDelete