Sunday, September 16, 2018

Day 8 Sept 15, 2018

Spirit Lake IA to Pierre, SD

314 Miles, the longest lag 

Again, we started the day without any issues. Have we got this thing down? Probably not, I'm sure something will come up. I've got terrible luck, within time something will go wrong. Everyone that came the night before minus Andre and Tony came to see Mike off. I believe it is fun to see the riders off too, the energy is tangible and the rest of the world is sleeping (except for people who are being woken up at the hotel that the riders are leaving at). Also, the smell of the oil and gas is unlike any other.

The trucks check engine light came on, but who knows whats going on with that. We may or may not have chosen to ignore it for now. We will call for help if we get stranded. The drive wasn't too bad, South Dakota isn't much to look at, however, once you get more West, it does get prettier, I will give it that. We went over  a river with some rolling hills in the back, that was beautiful. We follow Mike's journey on our little tracker thing, it seems as though he had a good drive as well. They got to go through Minnesota, that was pretty cool!

I guess the first stop that Mike made to fill up with gas, a random gentleman swiped his credit card saying that it was on him. He said that the bikes they are riding are really cool bikes, and that he appreciates what the riders are doing. Mike and him chit chatted a little bit more about the ride and the bike. Mike said it was pretty fun talking to him.

We arrived to our hotel early, we didn't have to run errands, we didn't have laundry to do, so we napped. I napped like a champ, I am a light sleeper and didn't even hear Mike come in. He came in earlier than expected so he got to relax before they (the riders showed their bikes). Right before my nap though, I realized I had forgotten my awesome new Bose sleep buds. They play white noise and are easy to sleep in and drown out other noise, like people snoring. Which came in handy on this trip. Lets just saying I'm kicking myself big time. I had them by the rest of my stuff and accidentally put the bed covers over it before I left. But luckily the staff found them and I mailing them to me. Now to see if they get to me -- fingers crossed.

Jeff, a support member had heard through the grapevine, or Mary had told him (who knows, Mary tells people a lot of things, we can't keep track of everything that comes out of her mouth) that her hair dryer had stopped working. It had worked however minutes into it, it had stopped. Jeff had found an old time hair dryer for curlers at a garage sale. He bought it for Mary so she never had to miss doing her hair. How thoughtful!!

We were able to help Vicki (one of the staff of the Cannonball) sing live on Facebook Happy Birthday to her dad. None of us knew where we were, which is completely comforting. As I went to grab drinks with a fellow support crew member, apparently Steve went into the dark trailer and couldn't see anything as he tried to read something with his readers on. He had his sunglasses on instead. He has continued to do this multiple times, and we have continued to make fun of him..multiple times.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Grand Finale

Doffo Winery Doffo Winery Right before take off  Right before take off Cindy and Jen Larry and Cindy                    Me leaving for the l...