Saturday, September 12, 2026

Day Five



 Holy Cannoli we made it! We made our trek from Loudon, TN to Chattanooga, TN. We all arrived and got a perfect score! 

It was quite an uneventful day for us in terms of our bikes. You know- besides that fact that I had to stay on my bike all day 🤣 kidding- for lunch we leaned it up against a phone pole. 

The route was beautiful more twisty roads in the countryside. BUT NEVER LET THAT FOOL YOU! 

The last 15-20 miles were probably some of the hardest riding of the whole route. We had a scene that felt like it was straight up. And naturally, it was right after a a tight hairpin of a turn. Once we got up there the roads were fine and you could see miles out. However, you always wonder when is that descend happening. What goes up must come down so we headed down. This was just as challenging as as there were those super tight hairpins. At one point we came up (down) to one and the car in front of us had stopped. They had stopped to let the cars coming from the other way come up. Once we went down we understood why. The turn was so tight that the car regardless of how close they stayed to the shoulder would not be able to turn without going into the other lane. Now I’m not quite sure how they couldn’t have made this safer- but I’m no construction person. We were just coasting down at this point and it was still a challenge. 

The day started out warm and ended hot again. Although, while on the motorcycle (and moving) it was great riding weather. 

From talking with people and my own experience it seems that this was one of the most technically challenging organized rides most people have been on. Between the crazy climbs, tightest curves, bouncy dirt roads, and descending on gravel - it sure made it challenging but worth the ride. 

On these older motorcycles going over bumps and not smooth roads is extra nerve wracking. Not only does it make you bounce a ton, but you always “feel” for the bikes as they aren’t made for this kind of riding, but also they break easily. Bolts get loose, frames break, and parts are left in the dust. Personally, I cringe when we are on those types of roads. 

Bill Page said that he believes it’s not how many miles you put on but the quality of those miles. We didn’t do 300+ miles of riding- in fact we did about half of that, but the roads were slow, the views were spectacular and the challengers were there. Never did I get bored riding; no road was straight for miles with minimal to look at. 

After we arrived back to the Choo Choo Chalet Hotel we had some time to hang out. We road our bikes back to the truck- trailers them up and got a ride back to the hotel. We then had the banquet where awards were given and food was provided. 

Pat Olson had made some really creative trophies that everyone was impressed by. 

One thing that I was shocked to find out was how this idea had formed. Apparently, on the TransAm ride a group of people had started talking about needing some kind of ride for those who don’t have quite as old of bikes. Long story short they came up with the idea. By the time the TramsAm banquet came by (only a few days later mind you) it was announced then and there that this would be happening in a year. At the time I had had no idea that this was just formulated and decided on. I assumed that this had been in the making for at least a month if not longer. 

After the banquet Team Butts decided to go get some ice cream. To our surprise we walk into the ice cream parlor and there is many Loopers eating ice cream. What is it about motorcycles that makes people want to indulge in this delicacy? 

Then we went to the bar with a few others - and lo and behold we ran into more Loopers! 

Jerry and Scott decided to trailer their bikes instead of riding back- and I don’t blame them. So early this morning we started our trip back home. 

In the following days I will be (hopefully) adding some videos to the blog to show some of the roads we traveled. They just take awhile to edit and between chatting with people, writing the blog and getting ready for the next day- it was too much. 

Again, I am so fortunate to be able to ride these rides with Mike, but also Scott and Jerry. There aren’t too many younger females that get to say that. The bond you grow having done these types of rides on these types of motorcycles is unbreakable. You have unique memories and experiences no one else does. 

Also, thank you to all of you who have wished us safe travels and followed along as that is encouraging and in a way keeps us motivated! 

The sunrise at breakfast. 

Braiding Tim’s hair again. 

My bike leaning on the cabin

Getting ready for take off 

Now leaning against a telephone pole (notice how dusty the tank is)


Picture with Team Butts, Bill Page and Amy Krueger (Bills daughter) they both put so much work into making this happen! 





The trophies Pat Olson did. He’s extremely humble and not one that likes attention- but these… I am just in awe of peoples talents. 

The banquet

This was outside our hotel. Hard to see but there is also a dog on the seat- perfectly posed. Yet- I bet both. Indi the dog. And Kat (I believe) the horse. 

So behaved.

On the left: Paul Ryan (Ryan restorations) redid my motorcycle. It was so meticulously done I had absolutely no issues. He did such a great job - I was so impressed and got compliment after compliment of how well done it was. And pretty- which was before the dirt roads. Which also- shout out to my mom for cleaning it and making it squeaky clean! I’ve got a motorcycle to wash. On the ride is Bart Grelinger who also knows a lot about BMWs I don’t know how much he helped build the bike, I wouldn’t be surprised if he had, but not sure how close they live together.  But I could always go ask him a question if I couldn’t find Paul! 

We had first met them on the Rinker Run we did in 2024. They were riding their BMWs. bart then did the transam and he worked hard on that ride. He got the grit award. Paul had been his support crew! 

One thing I also really enjoy is getting to know these folks lives outside of the antique motorcycle world. I find it so fascinating the different “types” of people you meet. Even with the simple things of what do they do for work, are they married, have kids, etc. Typically all you do is talk motorcycles but to me I like to know their backgrounds and how they got into antique motorcycles. 

Bill wanted to make it more of a unique ride. He didn’t want to do chain hotels but more of a different experience. To see the places that you typically don’t see or don’t “risk” doing. Between a lodge, cabins, beautiful mountain stays and the Yogi Bear! 


I always wish I had gotten to know more people and branched out a little bit more, regardless as always this event was amazing g. 

Shout out to the staff who all made it happen and kept us safe throughout the trip. Bill and Kathy Page, Amy Krueger, Joe Casola (+his son Parker), Pat and Monica Olson, Kelly Modlin, Kellyn Modlin, Vicki Roberts-Sanfelipo, Joe Sparrow, Marjorie Kleinman, Laura Kelh, Ryan Allen, Paul Belt, and last but not least Stu and Marlene Preston. 




1 comment:

  1. Congrats on another amazing day and perfect score! It has been so much fun following along, thanks for these updates, we at home really appreciate them. You are a great storyteller and humorist, and it's especially cool getting the female perspective on these endurance rides. You and the whole team are rock stars!

    ReplyDelete

Day Five

 Holy Cannoli we made it! We made our trek from Loudon, TN to Chattanooga, TN. We all arrived and got a perfect score!  It was quite an unev...